[ovirt-devel] Toward self-configuring CI, or how can we stop writing YAML

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 07:38:11 UTC 2017

On 11 January 2017 at 08:56, Martin Perina <mperina at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yes, adding exact package version

Which is very human-labour intensive and useless for CI.

Sandro is a saint  for doing this for so long, but I'd rather free his
time from such mundane tasks.

> into a specific file under releases worked fine so far and I don't see any
> issue with that.

It never worked for CI or even the nightlys, only for "offcial" builds
(Having a different flow for "CI" and "official" is a separate problem
all on its own).

> And I definitely don't want to create branches per oVirt version in smaller
> projects, because we reuse the same version for multiple oVirt major
> releases. So adding branch per version is a waste of time, when we can
> compose repository for a version using text file under releases directory.

It not like a branch is something that's taking up resources, its just
a pointer in git... We could also use tags if that may be more
convenient (e.g you tag one commit with a version and everything that
follows it goes to that version).

I guess a text file under 'automation' is also a viable solution, as
long as we can make people understand the strange results that may
happen of the same file ends up on two different branches.

We can probably even do both - use the "explicit" text file and fall
back to "implicit" branch names if its not there.

>> You can always chose to trust us to not misconfigure the project like that
>> :)

I'm inclined to do so.
I know full well though, that we will get complaints when the system
does what it was told to do as opposed to what the maintainer
wanted...

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com