[ovirt-devel] Webadmin complie time too long

Scott Dickerson sdickers at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 16:04:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Tomas Jelinek <tjelinek at redhat.com> wrote:

> yes, you can try to debug it:
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/debugfrontend/
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:51 AM, 紫星雨 <liu123fang at qq.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>

>> Recently, I am debugging the 'Webadmin' module to add a new function. But the
>> time of compiling the 'Webadmin' module is very long, nearly eight minutes.
>> Is there any debug method that can compile quickly.

The only way to really decrease the compile time of webadmin is to reduce
the number of GWT permutations.  There is a new GWT compile for every
permutation, and there is a permutation for every browser * every locale.
A full oVirt build will do 3 browsers (ie10, gecko/firefox and
safari/webkit/chrome) and 9 languages for a total of 27 permutations.

The debug page shows a few build commands that can reduce the number of
permutations included.

When I compile, I only compile for 1 browser (chrome), 1 language
(English), include all of the unit tests and exclude the userportal.  Here
is my build command:

  make \
    clean install-dev \
    PREFIX=$HOME/ovirt-engine \
    BUILD_UT=1 \
    BUILD_GWT=1 \
    BUILD_GWT_USERPORTAL=0 \
    DEV_EXTRA_BUILD_FLAGS="-Dgwt.compiler.localWorkers=1" \
    DEV_EXTRA_BUILD_FLAGS_GWT_DEFAULTS="-Dgwt.cssResourceStyle=pretty
-Dgwt.userAgent=safari -Dgwt.locale=en_US"

On compiles after only changing source in webadmin, I'll drop the 'clean'
and set BUILD_UT=0.

If you want more then one language, just add the extra local comma
separated.  For example, to get English and German, use
'-Dgwt.locale=en_US,de_DE'.