[ovirt-devel] Question about general testing

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 09:10:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Petr Kotas <pkotas at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I have been working on a development environment for the oVirt. The
> environment is basically two VMs running beside together. One runs the
> engine, second is a host that runs the vdsm with nested virtualization.
>  I am now working on the vagrant file with orchestration to make the
> environment setup easier. So if You would wait for a few more days, You
> will be able to start from my setup.

Hi Petr,
I would advise you to look into oVirt System Tests which are already being
used for over a year in oVirt's CI/CD flow and are continously finding real
regressions on a weekly basis.
It is used to continously test each oVirt project in CI, and continuous
deliver it to a 'tested' repo only if it passed the system tests validation.
The oVirt Systems tests project is getting updated also very frequently
with new tests, which you can find here [3]

We already have testing suites for 'basic install with normal engine/RHEL
hypervisors', 'hosted engine', 'hyper converged setup with gluster', 'next
gen node based installation'.
In addition, we support exporting the environment and importing it, so
basically you can bring up a complex setup once, export it and use it later
for demo purposes or just reproducing a bug.

In general, Lago also supports other distros such as Debian, Fedora and can
be installed either with RPMs or PiP.

For more info you can read here [1][2], There are also multiple videos and
slidedesk available on both projects if you're interested.

[1] http://ovirt-system-tests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[2] http://lago.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
[3]
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-system-tests.git;a=shortlog;h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster

> As for the containers. For you to have a full test setup, you would need
> to place a VM inside the container and run a nested virtualization inside.
> This is what the two projects you mentioned are doing. Therefore they are
> not that lightweight as you would like.
>
> I would recommend using the VM environment, which is the simplest solution.
>
> I will send a reply again once my environment is up.
>
> Petr
>

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Does ovirt-system-tests meet your needs? It can leave the VMs standing
>> when it's done.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Marc Young <3vilpenguin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying for weeks to come up with a better (most specifically
>>> lighter) testing environment for external API requests (specifically
>>> vagrant).
>>>
>>> Right now It basically hooks into a real running oVirt to spin up and
>>> test VMs. It works but it's not portable or lightweight.
>>>
>>> I've been looking into the docker containers:
>>>    https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-container-engine (doesnt look like
>>> this is going to stay maintained? )
>>>    https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-containers (this requires openshift
>>> making it a giant yak to shave)
>>>
>>> Are there any thoughts on where to head from here? Im looking to purely
>>> launch oVirt of specific versions and run some tests against it (launching
>>> real VMs).
>>>
>>> I got the first docker one working, but it turned into a turtles problem
>>> because there was no host, and adding a host requires ssh to be running
>>> (which isnt), etc etc.

>> --
>> Greg Sheremeta, MBA
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>> gshereme at redhat.com

Eyal edri

ASSOCIATE MANAGER

RHV DevOps

EMEA VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)