[ovirt-devel] Engine query & action result classes are now final

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Fri Jun 2 15:33:29 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> yesterday, we merged https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/75705/ which seals
> Engine query & action result classes.
>
> We will follow this up with renaming "VdcReturnValueBase" to
> "ActionReturnValue" and doing similar renames to existing "VdcSomething"
> classes.
>
> The reason for finalizing those result classes is to avoid us implementing
> a GWT custom field serializer for each such subclass, therefore limiting
> our exposure to GWT RPC specifics when transferring objects between client
> and server.
>
> On a side note, we also upgraded GWT 2.8.0 to 2.8.1 which fixes a GWT
> compiler bug we had to work around: https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/77264/

​Unfortunately, we've found a bug [1] in GWT 2.8.1 that causes the GWT
debugger (classic dev mode - using Java IDE) to crash right upon startup.

[1] https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9522​

The ^^ bug is currently marked as "wontfix" because classic dev mode was
deprecated in GWT 2.8.0 release. For us, classic dev mode remains the only
reliable way to debug our GWT code (even though you have to use a very old
Firefox or Chrome, but it works).

​For​ now, we're going to revert to GWT 2.8.0 so that frontend development
experience isn't affected.