[ovirt-devel] Removal of Export Storage Domain and virt-v2v

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Jun 14 12:21:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> As you may know virt-v2v can use the Export Storage Domain (ESD) to
> upload converted virtual machines to oVirt.  It was brought to my
> attention yesterday that the ESD feature is being dropped, so this
> will no longer work at some point in the future.  (BTW I would
> appreciate notice if you're going to drop major features that we rely on.)

We are not dropping it tomorrow.
We are slowly deprecating it.

> Although virt-v2v can still work via the GUI, this isn't really
> suitable for bulk, scripted upload of hundreds or thousands of VMs.
>
> The ESD method was never very good.  It was sort of an undocumented
> back door into oVirt, and it was slow, and still required manual
> intervention (after virt-v2v had done its job, you still needed to go
> through the GUI and import the guests into the Data Domain).
>
> What we really need is a fully scripted method to upload VMs --
> metadata and disk images -- to oVirt.  Maybe one exists already?  If
> not, what's the best way to do this?

And indeed, we won't deprecate it without a suitable replacement.
While you can already upload disks, we are working towards upload/download
of VMs.
See
http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/enhance-import-export-with-ova/
Y.