[ovirt-devel] REST API data aggregation

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 15:22:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Martin Sivak <msivak at redhat.com> wrote:

> > I feel like every REST API I've ever worked with has had the aggregation
> +
> > projection problem. It's like we're trying to use REST as a replacement
> for
> > SQL -- but the logic that executes the "SQL" lives in a browser now, and
> it
> > used to live on a server close to the DB. And REST isn't expressive for
> > selecting data like SQL is.
>
> The current industry solution I know about is called API gateway..
> most of the big players have internal API with lots of low level stuff
> and then couple of external API gateways tailored to what the client
> needs.
>
> http://microservices.io/patterns/apigateway.html (check the backend
> for frontend section)
>
> This trend is also visible when you think about services that offer
> API gateway management and billing like
> https://aws.amazon.com/api-gateway/ or our very own
> https://www.3scale.net/

right, but the api gateway solves 2 problems:

1: if you have a microservice architecture it is hard for frontend to talk
to 20 different moving services. So the gateway hides this complexity
behind it. This is not the problem we have.

2: you can have more api gateways (e.g. more apis) tailored for every
frontend. I don't think we need this - the current API serves us pretty
well in every FE Im involved in. The only thing which I miss is the data
aggregation.

So I would go back to the original topic of this thread - do some small
change which has a chance to be merged to the project and helps us where it
hurts.