[ovirt-devel] Firewalld migration.

Oved Ourfali oourfali at redhat.com
Sun Mar 26 10:40:52 UTC 2017

top-posting:
You need to also consider how upgrade will be handled, right?
Or iptables will still remain supported?

Also, see some comments inline.

Regards,
Oved

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Leon Goldberg <lgoldber at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> We're looking to migrate from iptables to firewalld. We came up with a
> couple of possible approaches we'd like opinions on. I'll list the options
> first, and will
>
> 1) Replicate existing flow:
>
> As of date, iptable rules are inserted in the database via SQL config
> files. During host deployment, VdsDeployIptablesUnit adds the required
> rules (based on cluster/firewall configuration) to the deployment
> configuration, en route to being deployed on the host via otopi and its
> iptables plugin.
>
> Pros:
>
> - Reuse of existing infrastructure.
>
> Cons:
>
> - Current infrastructure is overly complex...

Can you elaborate?
I'm not an otopi expert, but I think that otopi plugins shouldn't be more
complex than what you describe in section #2, and the plugins were meant in
order to handle such cases.

- Many of the required services are provided by firewalld. Rewriting them
> is wasteful; specifying them (instead of providing actual service .xml
> content) will require adaptations on both (engine/host) sides. More on that
> later.
>

> 2) Host side based configuration:
>
> Essentially, all the required logic (aforementioned cluster/firewall
> configuration) to determine if/how firewalld should be deployed could be
> passed on to the host via ohd. Vdsm could take on the responsibility of
> examining the relevant configuration, and then creating and/or adding the
> required services (using vdsm.conf and vdsm-tool).

So here you replace the otopi plugin with relevant vdsm-tool code, and the
question is why is that better?