[ovirt-devel] DBUnit upgrade and format change

Allon Mureinik amureini at redhat.com
Fri May 12 08:47:21 UTC 2017

Hi all,

In an attempt to make maintaining Engine's DAO tests a bit more manageable,
yesterday I've merged patches to upgrade the DBUnit version we're using to
the latest available version, 2.5.3 [1], and changed the format to flat-XML
[2], ending up with a fixures.xml file which is almost 10K lines shorter.

What do you need to know about this change? Frankly, not much.

The format itself is pretty self-descriptive. To add a row to a table in
the test database, just add a row to fixtures.xml: <table_name
some_column="some_value" some_other_column="123"/>
Note that you can pretty much add such a row wherever you want in the file,
but in the interest of maintainability, please group rows from the same
tables together, and leave an empty line between tables (as the file
currently is).

Note also that DBUnit 2.5.3 doesn't seem to allow timezones, offsets or
whitespaces at the end of timestamp values. Since our tests don't really
depend on them, I just removed the handful of instances we had. If anyone
wants to take a deeper look, I'd gladly review it :-)

If this change causes trouble to anyone (it shouldn't - it was tested both
on my machine and in the CI, several times), please let me know.

You friendly neighborhood cleanup guy,
Allon

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/76678/
[2] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/76679/