[ovirt-devel] ovirt-imageio leaves .guestfs-0 folder under /var/tmp during check-patch

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Thu May 25 09:11:15 UTC 2017

On 25 May 2017 at 11:22, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Vdsm and ovirt-imageio use /var/tmp because we need file system supporting
> direct I/O. /tmp is using tmpfs which does not support it.
>
> We have no need for "cached" data kept after a test run, and we cannot
> promise that test will never leave junk in /var/tmp since tests run before
> they are reviewed. Even correct tests can leave junk if the test runner is
> killed (for example, on timeout).
>
> The only way to keep slaves clean is to clean /tmp and /var/tmp after each
> run. Treating /var/tmp as cache is very wrong.

You need to differentiate between the '/var/tmp' you see from your
scripts to the one we are talking about here.

- When you use /var/tmp in your script you use the one inside the mock
  environment. It is specific to yore script run time environment and
  will always be wiped out when its done.

- We are talking about "/var/tmp" _of_the_execution_slave_, the only
  way you can get to it is either specifically bind-mount it from the
  "*.mounts" file, or have some daemon like libvirtd or dockerd write
  to it.

BTW if you want any guarantees about the FS you are using, you better
bind-mount something to the point you are writing to, otherwise things
will break when we make infrastructure changes like for example moving
the chroots to RAM or onto layered file-systems.

--
Barak Korren
RHV DevOps team , RHCE, RHCi