[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] s390 draft patches submitted for review

Viktor Mihajlovski mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 21 07:52:51 UTC 2017

On 20.09.2017 22:04, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
[...]
>> thanks for the feedback. I'll have to clean up the vdsm/libvirt stuff
>> first. There's still an issue with NUMA on s390 I have to solve…
>
> sure, it’s the one to start with. Are other system dependencies (qemu, libvirt, other)?
KVM on s390 is usable for quite some time, for practical purposes I
would suggest at least kernel 4.4, QEMU 1.2.5, libvirt 1.3.1.

>> Once I'm done with vdsm, I'll provide patches for ovirt-engine. As a
>
> that’s great!
>
>> prerequisite for that I need to update ovirt-engine-api-model (new
>> architecture and a new watchdog device type).
>
> regarding watchdog…we have an overdue plan/intent to use pvpanic instead of watchdog devices. They are not widely used anyway. So I wonder if there are plans to support pvpanic on s390 at the qemu/libvirt level and (separately) whether a watchdog is an important item for s390 usersThe s390 architecture has a native panic device model ('s390' instead of
'isa') so that would be no problem. The watchdog device is not needed
for crash detection on s390, but rather to identify hang situations.
Even that is not very common, I believe...
[...]
> We’re mostly focusing on EL platform, it may also make sense to work on top of EL 7.4 with custom QEMU/libvirt (I’m assuming you do need some bleeding edge changes there)

that's OK from a development perspective, I am juggling kernels, QEMU
and libvirt all the time...

In case you're looking for more information on KVM on s390

[1] https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/S390X
[2] http://kvmonz.blogspot.co.uk
[3]
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/linuxonibm/com.ibm.linux.z.ldva/ldva_c_welcome.html