[ovirt-devel] make check on master fails due to UnicodeDecodeError

Shani Leviim sleviim at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 06:59:34 UTC 2018

HI,

*Regards,*

*Shani Leviim*

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 5:21 PM Shani Leviim <sleviim at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I did clean the root directory but it didn't solve the issue.
>> I'm currently running the tests on fedora27, using python version 2.1.14.
>>
>> Thanks to Dan's help, it seems that we found the root cause:
>>
>> I had 2 pickle files under /var/cache/vdsm/schema: vdsm-api.pickle and
>> vdsm-events.pickle.
>> Removing them and re-running the tests using make check was successfully
>> completed.
>>

> How did you have cached schema under /var/run? This directory is owned by
> root.
> Are you running the tests as root?

​No, I'm running the tests over my laptop using my user.​

> This sounds like a bug in the code using the pickled schema. The pickled
> should not
> be used if the timestamp of the pickle do not match the timestamp of the
> source.

​There's a suspect that there's a different encoding for python 2 and
python 3.
While I checnged "with open(pickle_path) as f:"   to   "with
open(pickle_path,'rb') as f: " (I was inspiered by [1]),
the make check seems to complete successfully.
​

​[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28218466/unpickling-a-python-2-object-with-python-3
​