[ovirt-devel] FC27 updates broken for ovirt-4.2

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 21:26:28 UTC 2018

On 02/27/2018 08:03 AM, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:54:06 +0100
> Viktor Mihajlovski <mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> If we need to support platform not supported in virt-preview, we
>>> need to chage the requirement so it is used only on x86_64.
>>>
>>> Victor, would you like to send a patch?
>> I believe there was a good reason to bump the libvirt requirement in
>> the vdsm package (some bugfix). Ideally, virt-preview should be build
>> for s390 as well.
>> If I'm not mistaking, the script
>> https://github.com/crobinso/build-fedora-virt-preview is used to build
>> the RPMs and populate the repository.
>>
>> Dan, Cole: what would it take to run this on the fedora-390 build
>> machine?
>
> after a brief look the script needs to be made multi-arch-aware (it
> hard-codes x86_64 in some places), when it calls mock, and then it
> needs some HW (we have ppc64le and s390x even now, aarch64 might take
> a while), overall it looks doable to me. Cole, what do you think?

I'm open to the idea in theory but in practice right now the script uses
mock locally so it's basically tied to the one build machine I use which
is x86. I have arm32 and aarch64 hardware locally but TBH I have very
little interest in running a build farm and dealing with all the issues
of connecting to remote machines, pulling down build output, etc. In
fact I've been meaning to move virt-preview to copr for a long while
which is going to tie it even deeper to x86, this would make
virt-preview easier to enable and let me scrap much of my custom code
for building/uploading repo contents.

We could re-implement it using koji scratch builds which have multiple
arch support nowadays but I did that in the past for x86 and I recall
feeling it was quite brittle, though I don't remember the details, maybe
it was just my implementation.

Thanks,
Cole