[ovirt-devel] Warnings in ovirt-engine build process

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 11:25:07 UTC 2018

On 3 January 2018 at 13:14, Dominik Holler <dholler at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 11:41:05 +0200
> Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 11:36 AM, Dominik Holler <dholler at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > If a code change adds a warning to ovirt-engine build process,
>> > shouldn't CI mark the change as unstable?
>> >

>> Can you give an example (e.g. a link to a jenkins build with such a
>> warning)?
>>

> I created the change https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/85925/ to produce
> different kinds of warnings.
> The CI result page
> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-engine_master_check-patch-el7-x86_64/35302/
> says:
> "Plug-in Result:Unstable - 6 warnings exceed the threshold of 0 by 6
> (Reference build: #35300)"
> Looks like CI checks for added findbugs warnings, but not for javac
> warnings.
>
>> I do not know if we currently emit any warnings. If we do, and you
>> want to ignore only the existing ones and fail new ones, I'd say this
>> is a bit hard and non-maintainable.
>>

> The findbugs warnings seems to use something smart like this.

yes because Jenkins has built-in Findbugs capabilities, not sure there
is something generic we can use for just any warning. Maybe by
emitting XUNIT reports, but I thing those only support errors.

>> If you want to treat all warnings as fatal errors, I guess this can
>> be done.
>>

> I expect there are many warnings, if they are currently not managed.

well, we're after a release so this maybe be the best time for turning
them into errors and then doing a fix marathon. Then again stuff is
probably accumulating for 4.2.1 quickly, so maybe not....

--
Barak Korren
RHV DevOps team , RHCE, RHCi