[ovirt-devel] oVirt s390x support - some questions for maintainers

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Wed Jan 3 14:11:57 UTC 2018

On 3 January 2018 at 15:41, Viktor Mihajlovski
<mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On 15.12.2017 21:29, Barak Korren wrote:
>> Hi to all project maintainers,
>>
>> As you may know, over the last few months the oVirt project had got
>> some code contributions geared towards enabling the use of s390x
>> (Mainframe) machines as hypervisor hosts.
>>
>> As you may also know, if you've followed the relevant thread, some
>> work had been done in collaboration with the Fedora community to
>> enable os390x support in oVirt`s CI system.
>>
>> We're now at the point where we can take the final step and enable
>> automated builds of node components for s390x/fc27. Looking at what we
>> curently build for ppc64le, I already took the time and submitted
>> patches to enable build jobs for vdsm [2], ovirt-host [3], and
>> ioprocess [4]. The relevant maintainers should have had these patches
>> land in thair inbpx already.
>>
>> Few questions remain however:
>> 1. When would be the best time to merge the patches mentioned above? Given
>>    that some of the projects do not support fc27 yet, that the new
>> build jobs may
>>    raise issues and that the 4.2 release is fast approaching, the
>> right timing should
>>    be considered carefully.
>> 2. Which additional projects need to be build? I can see we build some SDK
>>    components for ppc64le as wel, are those dependences of vdsm? Will we need
>>    to build then for s390x?
>>

>> [1]: http://jenkins.ovirt.org/search/?q=master_build-artifacts-el7-ppc64le
>> [2]: https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/85487
>> [3]: https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/85486
>> [4]: https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/85485
>>

> Since 4.2 is out, it would be great if we could merge the ovirt-host [3]
> first and - if successfull - vdsm [2]. Should there be failures on s390x
> I would have a look.

Both these project had issues the last time we enabled FC27 builds for
them, so I'd like to see some core maintainers in the loop.

I'm running an fc27x86_64 build of vdsm master atm, lets see if that
passes at least;
http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_master_build-artifacts-fc27-x86_64/46/

--
Barak Korren