[ovirt-devel] Tracking down a vdsm memory leak

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Mon May 7 15:46:10 UTC 2018

I have a problem with a memory leak in vdsm.  I have a dev cluster that
right now is:

- two nodes
- CentOS 7.4 (up to date)
- oVirt 4.2.2 (installed as 3.5 and upgraded version by version)
- hosted engine (no other running VM at the moment)
- iSCSI storage

I have a script that writes the vdsm RSS to a file every five minutes,
and on the node holding the hosted engine, vdsm RSS grows around
300-1500KB every snapshot.

I maintain several oVirt clusters for others, and they all seem to have
this problem.  The production clusters are all still on oVirt 4.1, but
they all have this problem too, so I guess it is something about how I
set them up?  On a couple I just checked, the vdsm RSS is over 1G.

Any tips on instrumenting vdsm to track this down?  I am unfortunately
only passingly familiar with python (I can make small changes, but not
knowledgeable enough to figure this out).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>