[Engine-devel] Reloadable Configuration - Wiki Page

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 14:36:21 UTC 2012

I'll try and sum up while rebutting as I get confused when mail threads become to long.

Your points as I understand them:
1. Moving the configuration to the instance level instead of system level is harder to implement.
[A] You are right when you talk about existing codebase, the question is will future configuration be written directly as instance configuration or will we continue abusing the system configuration until it's integrated in.

2. Using the config for system level defaults.
[A] Defaults are values that we as developers recommend for options. Letting the user change the defaults is actually letting the user set the value. If you are talking about configuration having a configuration hierarchy. Engine is not a parent objects to pin the hierarchy to as it's not an actual actor in the BL.

3. No need to set until there is an instance level tweak is required.
[A] If you set up the configuration hierarchy properly you could have the attribute getters recognize this hierarchy and only have a setter (and the proper db scheme) written when instance level tweaking is required. This way you remove the complexity but keep object relation correctness.

My opinion is usually that doing things properly might look like a lot of work now but in the long run you save more time. Further more, you can hide the fact that you are doing things wrong when you lack the time to actually do things properly. VDSM for instance hides global configuration accesses in instance getters and constructors. So even though the configuration is in the wrong place it is modeled in correctly and as we slowly move things the rest of the code isn't (for the most part) doing things like accessing objects configuration directly and other such atrocities.

In more practical terms, you could have settings per class\service instead of per instance and later you can actually use this as the basis for a configuration hierarchy. IMO This will be easier to model into the current authentication model, and integrate in. Always remember that one of the pillars of OOP is encapsulation, so even if you decide to keep all the values in one table, it will be smart to still define who owns what values in code instead of having a ConfigurationManager singleton and have everyone access it directly. But again, I'm not as versed in the Engine code as you all are and this might be more complicated than it looks to an outsider.

In broader strokes, my personal preference is to have an idea of how you want the configuration to work *ideally* and then start to take concessions due to resource limitations. Instead of just deciding to hack something in and worry about things later.