[Engine-devel] Floating Disk feature description

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 14:20:16 UTC 2012

I actually believe that Itamar's suggestion of "start with vm disks only and not consider template disks so much" is better and simpler; Template Disks aren't the reason for implementing the Disks main tab anyway: there shouldn't be to many template disks in the system and they are not floating/shared, they cannot be attached/detached, etc.

Having two grids in a main tab isn't consistent with the current graphical "language" of the GUI.

We can still have a single grid with a column for indication for "VM Disk vs. Template Disk", however having there also a column of "storage domain" or "template name" is problematic ("storage domain" column is problematic for Template Disks, since they can reside on multiple storage domains; "template name" is problematic, since it is relevant only for templates' disks).

> > > 4. "Templates (visible for disks that reside in templates) List
> > > of
> > >      Templates to which the selected Disk is attached. "
> > >
> > > same comment as above of maybe consider only vm disks for now.
> > > and also a question - how can a template disk belong to more than
> > > single template?
> >
> > Yes, for now, a template disk cannot belong to more than a single
> > template.
> > However, won't we like to have a shared disk for a template in the
> > future?
> >

> > > which again hints for a template disk you would want another
> > > view,
> > > with
> > > the template name in the main grid

Again, as I stated above - maybe worth ignoring Templates' Disks altogether in the Disks main tab context.