[Engine-devel] bridgless networks

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 15:01:57 UTC 2012

I think that in the UI we should automatically check the "bridged" for VM networks, and uncheck it for non-VM ones.
In the future, when we'll support more network types that can run VMs without a bridge (VEPA/VNLink/SRIOV) then we would change this logic.

As for the open issues:

[1] if a network is checked with "allowToRunVms" and an underlying host will need an un-bridged(SRIOV...) network to fulfil that
how do we treat that during monitoring? we should be able to distinguish on interfaces that can run vm with/without bridge
and deduce that cluster compatibility didn't break

[oved] We will be able to make this distinction. Less relevant for today, but will be relevant in the future.

[2] if, for some reason an admin wants a non VM network to be bridged, should we allow it?

[oved] I would allow it.