[Engine-devel] [Spice-devel] SPICE related features

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 14:36:06 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Dor, thanks for the forward.

On 02/08/2012 12:49 PM, Dor Laor wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 01:43 PM, Oved Ourfalli wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The following feature page describes the engine adjustments needed for new SPICE features.
>>
>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/SPICERelatedFeatures

Al in all this looks good, some remarks:

* WRT multi monitor support for RHEL, the latest RHEL xorg-x11-drv-qxl and
   spice-vdagent packages do support multi monitor support using multiple
   cards in Xinerama mode. We are waiting for a RHEL-6 z-stream update to
   fix an x11-xorg-server-Xorg bug which atm makes the mouse unusable in this
   mode wants this lands, multi-monitor support this way should be available
   for RHEL-6.2 (and later) guests. The same holds true for Fedora guests,
   although I don't expect the necessary Xorg changes to be available for
   versions older then Fedora 17. The driving multiple monitors from a single
   qxl device support OTOH is still a long time away, likely 6 months or so.

* WRT the native USB support, the wiki page says:
   "If the cluster level is 3.1 (which supports native USB support), but the
   client only has non-native USB support (old client), then we will use the
   old client. This means that we'll have to keep supporting the non-native USB
   support, side-by-side with the native one."

   Note that the new usb-support requires starting the guest with a number of
   extra emulated devices. These will just sit around and do nothing if unused,
   so I don't really expect any issues with this, but this still is something
   to be aware of. OTOH the old usb-support requires the installation of extra
   software inside the guest, if this is not installed falling back to the old
   client will not help wrt usb support.

Regards,

Hans