[Engine-devel] bridgless networks

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 08:02:03 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 04:47 PM, Roy Golan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Lately I've been working on a design of bridge-less network feature in the engine.
> You can see it in http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/Network/Bridgeless_Networks#Bridge-less_Networks
>
> Please review the design.
> Note, there are some open issues, you can find in the relevant section.
> Reviews and comments are very welcome.

1. validations
1.1. do you block setting a logical network to don't allow running VMs
if it has a vnic associated with it?
1.2. do you check on import a vnic isn't connected to a logical network
which doesn't allow running VMs?
1.3. do you check when REST API tries to add/edit a vnic that the chosen
logical network is allowed to run VMs?

2. changes
2.1 can a logical network be changed between allow/disallow running VMs?
2.2 what's the flow when enabling running VMs? will the logical network
become non-operational until all hosts are reconfigured with a bridge
(if applicable)?
what is the user flow to reconfigure the hosts (go one by one? do what
(there is no change to host level config)?
2.3 what's the flow to not allowing to run VMs (bridge-less) - no need
to make the network non operational, but same question - what should the
admin do to reconfigure the hosts (no host level config change is needed
by him, just a reconfigure iiuc)

Thanks,
    Itamar