[Engine-devel] SharedRawDisk feature detail
abaron at redhat.com
Sun Feb 12 17:06:30 EST 2012
I started writing the changes in the email but got tired of it and just made a bunch of changes in the wiki (impossible to track in email, such things should be done using etherpad or something).
A few questions though:
plugged vs. enabled - I thought we converged on attached/detached and enabled/disabled and not plugged/unplugged?
* Shared disks are attached with R/W permissions.
- What about enabling R/O ? (esp. for stateless/pools)
* Template disks should not be shared.
- Why not? (read only)
* When exporting a VM, only the disks which are not shared will be exported.
- Why is the above not treated the same as a snapshot? the configuration will reference the shared disk as unplugged? (or will it and it's just not clear?)
I didn't touch stateless/pools but should be fixed to reflect comments on this thread.
Is Remove shared disk and Delete shared disk the same thing? if so, why the dual terminology?
I don't quite follow the logic determining which section is under functionality and which under user experience. For example, why do you have a 'Delete shared disk' section in the Ux section but not a 'Move shared disk' section (there is no shared disk specific logic visible in the delete action UI).
* Disk name should be generated automatically based on the vm name and disk number in the VM. Description will be empty.
* New disk should enforce the user to enter a name for the disk.
- Huh? the above 2 items seem like an oxymoron, but I may be missing something...
* Attach/Detach of a shared disk can be performed only when the VM is in status 'down'.
- Why? under the functionality section you clearly stated that attaching a disk will result in it being attached but disabled...
----- Original Message -----
> On 02/02/12 17:15, Maor wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > The shared raw disk feature description can be found under the
> > following
> > links:
> > http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/DetailedSharedRawDisk
> > http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/SharedRawDisk
> > Please feel free, to share your comments.
> > Regards,
> > Maor
> > _______________________________________________
> > Engine-devel mailing list
> > Engine-devel at ovirt.org
> > http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/listinfo/engine-devel
> Hi Maor,
> - "when taking a VM snapshot, a snapshot of the shared disk will not
> I think it is worth mentioning that the shared disk will be part of
> VM snapshot configuration. The disk will appear as unplugged.
> - Move VM is deprecated in 3.1.
> - It seems from the wiki that shared disk is not supported for
> but is supported for VM pool.
> I am not sure how can we do that? iirc we create pool from template.
> What is the complexity of supporting shared disk in Templates? off
> top of my head it seems like it is more complicated to block shared
> disks in templates than to support it. What do you think?
> Engine-devel mailing list
> Engine-devel at ovirt.org
More information about the Engine-devel