[Engine-devel] SharedRawDisk feature detail

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 20:27:20 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 12:20 PM, Miki Kenneth wrote:
>> I think we're approaching this the wrong way.
>> There are 2 possible problems we're trying to solve here and having
>> the original shared disk as part of the template is the wrong
>> solution for both.
>>
>> The first problem is - user wants to attach the shared disk to all
>> VMs derived from the template - in this case the shared disk is
>> *not* a part of the template and what is needed is an automatic way
>> to configure newly created VMs that would allow to attach the shared
>> disk.
> My personal feeling is that this is the common use case.

my view is the use case of shared disk defined at template level is
nice, but can be done at a later phase. the higher priority would be to
actually support a shared disk, even if user needs to attach it to the
VMs they instantiated from the template.
so we need to remember the template use case, and not do things making
it more complex later, but can also do some validations preventing it if
it makes things more complex.