[Engine-devel] Autorecovery feature plan for review

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 09:22:45 UTC 2012

On 16/02/12 10:01, Moran Goldboim wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 09:35 AM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:

Currently host status is changed to non-operational on various reasons,
some of them are static like vdsm version and cpu model and some of them
are (potentially) transient like network failure.

The Error state, as Itamar detailed earlier on this thread, is used
currently on what I would call (potentially) transient reason.

The original intention (I think) was to move host to non-operational on
reasons which are static and to Error on reasons which are transient,
and I guess that is why there is timeout on the Error state and OE tries
to initialize a host after 30 minutes in Error state.

The problem is that as the code evolved this is not the case anymore.
I suggest that we use the non-operational state for transient reasons,
which we detect in monitoring flow, or execution failures and do the
initialization retry as Laszlo suggested in the document. Use the Error
state for static errors and remove the 'timeout' mechanism we currently
have (from Error state).

Livnat