[Engine-devel] bridgeless networks - update

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 09:35:24 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Itamar - It was decided to remove the "allow to run VMs" attribute on the logical network level (to simplify things, not sure it is the right way, though). AFAIU the main reason for that is that we might want to use a network for VMs in one cluster, and for other uses on another cluster. Not sure how important this use-case is, but in AFAIU that was the main reason to leave this attribute aside for now, and add it only later on.

If we indeed don't add this attribute then we can't really tell the admin "this network can be bridgeless" as we don't know that. Maybe the user wants to run VMs on it. So, we can just warn him in several scenarios that what he is doing is probably wrong, or we can monitor that and issue a warning event.

If we do add this attribute then we can decide on a different logic: allowing only bridge for VM networks, allowing both but warn the user, monitoring for "mixed" configurations, and etc., according to what we think is a reasonable use-case.