[Engine-devel] bridgeless networks - update

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 00:20:29 UTC 2012

On 02/16/2012 10:48 AM, Roy Golan wrote:
>> On 02/15/2012 06:50 PM, Roy Golan wrote:
>>> following ovirt engine weekly here's a summary of the changes:
>>>
>>> 1. no validation during vmInterface creation
>>> 2. when attaching a network the default value is bridged (GUI
>>> responsibility)
>>
>> so what is the default if one didn't pass it in the API (i.e.,
>> backend
>> should have a default value. UI may choose whatver).
> I generally dislike default values in API because client
> wont know what it is, default behavior might change in time etc...

it is not a question of like/dislike - are you proposing we break the
api for existing users since we don't want to choose a default value for
them?

>> (and the UI/API name in the wiki is something around "allow to run
>> vms",
>> not bridged - so maybe change the terminology used to discuss this to
>> reduce risk of confusion/mistakes later).
>>

>>> 3. monitoring - detect mixed configured cluster (network "foo" is
>>> bridged on one host and not on another)
>>>      and issue an audit log warning with event interval of 1 day
>>
>> why does this matter if cluster is mixed?
> to inform a potential migration problem

if logical network doesn't need to run VMs, if it is bridged on some
hosts, doesn't mean there is an issue.
if logical network is supposed to run VMs, either the network or the
hosts would have it as non operational until the issue is fixed.
how is that different from other network mis configurations?

>> i.e., wouldn't this be interesting per host, that a network which
>> could
>> be bridgeless is bridged to warn about?
> I agree that an admin might like a notice that he can improve the host's performance.
> but currently how can we say a network can be bridgeless given that we don't have the nic type yet?
> detect if no vmInterfaces are connected to it maybe?

what do you mean by nic type?