[Engine-devel] VM disks

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sat Feb 18 17:07:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

These days we are working on various features around VM disks, in the
different threads it was decided that we'll have the ability to attach a
disk to a VM but it will be added as inactive, then the user can
activate it for it to be accessible from within the guest.

Flow of adding a new disk would be:
- creating the disk
- attaching the disk to the VM
- activating it

Flow of adding a shared disk (or any other existing disk):
- attach the disk
- activate it

It seems to me a lot like adding a storage domain and I remember a lot
of rejections on the storage domain flow (mostly about it being too
cumbersome).
After discussing the issue with various people we could not find a good
reason for having a VM disk in attached but inactive mode.

Of course we can wrap the above steps in one step for specific flows
(add+attach within a VM context for example) but can anyone think on a
good reason to support attached but inactive disk?

I would suggest that when attaching a disk to a VM it becomes part of
the VM (active) like in 'real' machines.

Thank you, Livnat