[Engine-devel] [node-devel] Support for stateless nodes

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 16:54:05 UTC 2012

>> As answered in the other response, there are kernel command line
>> parameters to set the management_server.  Since this will likely be in a
>> pxe environment, setting the pxe profile to include
>> management_server=<engine_url> should be fine.
>>
> I agree it's a valid solution as long as you assume this is relevant
> for PXE only use case.

Not necessarily...

Take the ISO/USB Stick and you can embed the kargs into the ISO/USB
itself so that it always boots with that mgmt server arg

This actually also enables use of 'stateless' combined with static IP
addressing as well.  As you can create a USB Stick and embed the kargs
for the NIC configuration, rsyslog config, etc, etc.

>> Another solution could be to setup a specific DNS SRV record that points
>> to the ovirt-engine and have node automatically query that for the
>> location.
> This was discussed in the past and for some reason not implemented.

Concerns about security, iirc.  Assumption that someone could hijack the
DNS SRV record and provide a man-in-the-middle oVirt Engine server.

If you're paranoid about security, don't use DNS SRV of course, instead
use hardcoded kargs as described above.  But for some DNS SRV might be
an ok option