[Engine-devel] Clone VM from snapshot feature

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 12:38:33 UTC 2012

On 02/26/2012 02:05 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 10:06 AM, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I modified the Wiki pages of this feature:
>>
>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/CloneVmFromSnapshot
>>
>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/DetailedCloneVmFromSnapshot
>>
>> Comments are more than welcome
>
> 1. "Shared disks and direct LUN diskes behavior - For shared disks and
> direct LUN based disks, the user who performs the snapshot will specify
> during snapshot creation whether the disk should be plugged or unplugged
> upon performing the clone."
>
> direct lun - if it is not already in shared mode, cannot be used by more
> than one VM, hence should not be cloned, unless already flagged as shared.
Understood. What should be the behaviour if shared flag is set to false?

> 2. it sounds like there should be some general code shared for import vm
> and clone vm for handling items which can't be duplicate by default
> (say, mac addresses).
True, I will revisit this. Aren't we facing actually this issue also in
creating a VM from template?

> 3. MLA - are you cloning the permissions on the VM as well, or only
> creating an owner permission on the new entity?
>
> 4. MLA - what permission does one need to have on source VM/snapsot to
> clone it?
> if a non-owner can clone a VM/snapshot, and become owner of the new
> entity, need to make sure no privilege escalation flows exist.
> is the intent to share the code of clone VM with AddVm (which is what
> clone is), with a task to clone the disks rather than create them
> (otherwise you need to duplicate the code for quota and permission
> handling?)
If I understand you correctly - Cloning images commands
(AddVmFromTemplate, cloning vm from snapshot, etc..) will invoke a
CopyImage internal command.