[Engine-devel] Clone VM from snapshot feature

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Feb 26 14:16:21 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/14/2012 11:03 AM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:

> >> Will be added. Not sure though what can we do in case for example
> >> you
> >> fail to copy image N out of M , besides of course
> >
> > Since it's not clear that if you merge the snapshots regardless of
> > the
> > base image (if it's RAW), or you merge them all to one big image,
> > I'm
> > not sure if there are two processes here or not - I assume there
> > are:
> > copy and merge. Each can fail independently, and rollback is
> > probably
> > required?

> >> CopyImage is an asycnrhonous verb that will be monitored by the
> >> AsyncTaskManager at Engine core.
> >
> > Which means that if there are N disks you copy them in parallel or
> > one
> > by one? May make sense to do it depending on the storage domain -
> > if
> > it's the same for all or not, etc. An optimization, I guess.
> This engine core code that is required to launch VDS command + create
> task for monitoring it takes less time than completion of the
> monitoring
> itself - so the part of lauch VDS command + create task for
> monitoring
> is serial, but the monitoring itself is performed periodically,
> according to the behavior of AsyncTaskManager.

The simple answer is that disks are being copied concurrently.
Yaniv, to answer a previous question you had - there is no copy + merge, it is a single operation which creates the target already collapsed (qemu-img convert)
Yaniv, I'm not sure what you meant with the disk1 and disk2 being raw question.

And wrt the copy being done by other hosts - unfortunately we do not yet support that.  That would require separating the creation of the target volumes/files from the copy operation.