[Engine-devel] [vdsm] [node-devel] Support for stateless nodes

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 10:06:12 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > > I agree it's a valid solution as long as you assume this is
> > > relevant
> > > for PXE only use case.
> >
> > Not necessarily...
> >
> > Take the ISO/USB Stick and you can embed the kargs into the ISO/USB
> > itself so that it always boots with that mgmt server arg
> >
> > This actually also enables use of 'stateless' combined with static
> > IP
> > addressing as well.  As you can create a USB Stick and embed the
> > kargs
> > for the NIC configuration, rsyslog config, etc, etc.

> > > This was discussed in the past and for some reason not
> > > implemented.
> >
> > Concerns about security, iirc.  Assumption that someone could
> > hijack the
> > DNS SRV record and provide a man-in-the-middle oVirt Engine server.
> >

> What about DNSSEC validation for DNS records in node?

This will require more than just changes to the registration process and it's quite difficult to track the required changes here on email.  Let's setup a call to discuss this and try to capture the list of issues we already know about (I'm sure we'll discover more once we actually try to do this).

To play devil's advocate though, I know there is interest, but I really don't understand the incentive.
What is the *problem* you're trying to solve here (stateless is a solution)