[Engine-devel] VM Payload feature

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 16:22:29 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 05:45 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:19:02PM +0200, Shahar Havivi wrote:
>> We encounter a problem with persisting the content to engine database (we don't
>> want to save the file the database).
>>
>> There are some solution for that:
>> 1. we do want to persist files to the database (with size limitation).
>> 2. engine can expect file path (nfs or http) and persist only the file url
>> 3. we can use this feature in run-once only hence no persistence is needed.

i think size limitation should be ok.
looking forward to next phase of supporting the cloud based api for
guests which david mentioned earlier in the thread, vm payload should
allow passing things like guest keypair files.
looking at the API[1] david mentioned, i didn't notice files other than
keypair's, but i may have missed them.
the rest of the API seems to be based on data that can be retrieved from
the DB.
David - any more insight as to when/how files are needed?
(btw, can you please remind where in the metadata do you pass extra
information aelous needs?)

>> Thoughts, other ideas?
>
> Let's re-ask the question about the (Engine) API: Do we need the payload
> to be passed on VM definition? Or is it enough to pass it on VM startup?

my view is vm definition, not only startup.

[1]
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AESDG-chapter-instancedata.html