[Engine-devel] Stable Device Addresses HLD/LLD for tomorrow meeting (15:00 GMT+1)

Dor Laor dlaor at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 14:28:29 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 03:46 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> Dor/Alon - a question below.
> more comments inline.
>
> On 01/03/2012 11:16 PM, Eli Mesika wrote:
>>> From: "Itamar Heim"<iheim at redhat.com>
>
>>> Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Stable Device Addresses HLD/LLD for
>>> tomorrow meeting (15:00 GMT+1)

>>> 4. video cards
>>> you mention only spice - what happens to VNC monitors?
>> Handled already, look on HLD for
>> 'qxl' - spice device, 'cirrus' - vnc device
>
> iirc, there is supposed to be something around being able to use both
> vnc or spice (mutually exclusive) without rebooting the guest.
> i.e., user would be able to connect with either one of these protocols
> Dor/Alon?

There is a way to do that and it may be desirable on some situations.
(why it is related to stable device addresses?)

> another item (shouldn't affect design i hope, but just in case):
> I just heard spice multi monitor support for linux guests may work
> differently than for windows.
> in windows we expose 4 video cards.
> for linux we may need to create one card with 4 times the memory.

While I don't know if that's possible, what's the relation to stable pci
addresses? ovirt just need to support all mode and allow configurable
number of pci cards, stable pci slots, multi-function devices and
specify the amount of ram or any other properties specific devices will
need.

>>> 6. virtio-serial
>>> you mention it in the beginning, but not afterwards wrt
>>> implementation
>>> details. there may be multiple of these (qemu-ga, ovirt-guest-agent,