[Engine-devel] Requirements for Aeolus instance data injection.

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Jan 14 12:22:46 UTC 2012

Heim; Shahar Havivi; Dan Kenigsberg
> Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Requirements for Aeolus instance data
injection.

> On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:10 -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 08:14 -0500, Ayal Baron wrote:
> > >
> > Just to provide some more background info: for DMTF CIMI, I will be
> > pusing to standardize the EC2 approach, since it is the only one that
> > properly decouples the VM from the infrastructure; IOW, the standard
> > will hopefully mandate that each instance can access a web server at
> > http://169.254.169.254/ from which it can get the user data.
>
> To add more background^2:  OVF has the notion of an 'activation engine',
> which includes passing some XML to the VM via a CD-ROM. Depending on
> where OVF support is on the ovirt roadmap, we could support user data
> injection that way.

So iiuc, there are two common methods:
1. accept data via the OVF 'activation engine' field to pass XML via a
CD-ROM (also via a specific field of the VM or Run Once verb I guess, so
no real need to pass it via the OVF). Though I must say I think it is not
the best name for such a field?
2. configure a known IP that the guest can communicate with the engine to
get the activation data from (engine will need to identify the calling
guest uniquely, etc.).

Obviously, #1 is easier to implement and has less security considerations.
I assume it is satisfactory as well?