[Engine-devel] move disk command

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 16:05:46 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 05:26 PM, Jon Choate wrote:
> As part of the multiple storage domains feature there will be new functionality added to allow users to move individual disks.
>
> What are the prerequisites for moving a disk?
>
> 1) the disk must exist
> 2) the associated VM must be down

this can't just be a CanDoAction check - the lock has to be real to
prevent a race from starting the VM after the validation.

> 3) the associated VM must not be locked
> 4) the source storage domain must exist
> 5) the source storage domain must be available
> 6) the target domain must exist
> 7) the target domain must be available
> 8) the target domain must have adequate disk space
> 9) the target domain cannot be an ISO or export domain
> 10) the source domain cannot be an ISO or export domain

user must provide same/other quota for the target domain which has
enough quota left for the requested size.

> What am I missing?
>
> Also, should we allow the moving of a template disk that has VM disks based on it? Unless I'm wrong this would require all of the disks based on the template to be moved as well.

I'd say no. you can only move a template disk if it is not used.
I'd go further and say one should copy the template disk and delete,
rather than support move for it at all (not relevant for VM disk, since
we don't have the same concept of multiple copies for it).