[Engine-devel] Low Level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 20:10:46 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Suppose, we unplug and then re-plug a disk, will VDSM expect the disk
> be
> in the same device path as before?  More generic, will the unplugging
> and plugging keep the PCI device path as the same as before?

No guarantee for that.
For example, suppose you unplug a disk, plug another disk then re-plug the first one.
Unplug is just like removing a physical disk from your machine, the disk does not have any property stating what PCI address it had.

It would be nice though if the address were kept and when plugging, if the address is not taken then use the same one and if taken then remove address and let the system choose where to place it...