[Engine-devel] Question about CloneVMFromSnapshot feature in context of shared disks and direct LUNs-based disks

Miki Kenneth mkenneth at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 18:50:14 UTC 2012

Sorry guys if I was not clear or maybe I missed something...

Let's take a use case:
- User like to create a VM for instance Win 2008, and would like to attach a shared disk to it.
- User liked to create multiple copies of this VM.
(all vms shared the same disk, and run same OS).
so do I do that in oVirt.... we can do either option 2 or 3.

Option 2 as I read it:
Taking the snapshot and marking the shared disk and direct LUN
disks as unplugged (in the VM snapshot configuration) and marking the snapshot state as partial.

my understanding was:
1. we is clone the vm configuration as is.
2. we try to clone the different disks
3. if there is shared raw disk/direct LUN, we do not clone them, we "unplug" them.
4. the (poor) user, will have to plug these vms manually, in order to assure connectivity and raise awareness that these disks are "special". This is nice but not great.

Option 3 as I read it:
Taking the snapshot and marking the shared disk and direct LUN
disks as plugged (in the VM snapshot configuration) and marking these disks as read only.

my understanding was:
1. we is clone the vm configuration as is.
2. we try to clone the different disks
3. if there is shared raw disk/direct LUN, we do not clone them , we make them read only(?), and they remain plugged.
4. user is happy.
5. only issue is how we have to make the user aware that these disks are shared/read only???
if this is possible, I agree to vote for third option :)

You might want to have a look at:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/building-vmware-shared-disk
(look at the configuration file in Vmware:
disk.locking = "FALSE"
diskLib.dataCacheMaxSize = "0"
#scsi1 data storage
scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi1.sharedbus = "none"
scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.fileName = " D:\Virtual Machines\Shared Disk\SHARED-DISK.vmdk "
scsi1:0.mode = "independent-persistent"
scsi1:0.shared = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.redo = ""
The shared flag is set for shared file, indicating "no locking"

I would like to re-ephasize that the user does not know the snapshotting mechanics. He would like to "copy" the VM as is. We have to do our best, and highlights the issues/sensitive points he has to take care of.

does that make sense?

Miki