[Engine-devel] CloneVMFromSnapshot - feature document

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Jan 21 21:57:23 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 10:53 AM, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:
> Hi all,
> You can look at http://ovirt.org/wiki/Features/CloneVmFromSnapshot
>
> And see the feature document for Clone VM from Snapshot.
>
> Comments are more than welcome (planning on providing a the detailed
> document soon)

apart from the ongoing discussion on this, my main comment is it should
be possible to clone a VM in down state directly, without a need to
create snapshots on it.

This is possible today by creating a template from the VM, then
instantiating VMs from the template via thin or clone.
Clone VM should allow to remove the need of creating a template.

Only clone would be supported of course, though  the VM is thinly
provisioned from a template, then cloning only the thinly provisioned
disks rather than the entire disks would be good as well)