[Engine-devel] Question about CloneVMFromSnapshot feature in context of shared disks and direct LUNs-based disks

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 07:26:44 UTC 2012

On 20/01/12 17:21, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 12:01 PM, Livnat Peer wrote:
>> On 20/01/12 09:35, Ayal Baron wrote:

Actually I meant creating a Template from Snapshot.

What you suggested is creating a VM from VM.
Although I see how the two are connected, I think they should be modeled
as two different API calls.
There is a difference in the flow, behavior, locks and parameters
between the two.

Behavior:
- Original VM has to be down for creating a VM from VM, not the case for
creating a VM from snapshot.

parameters:
- Creating VM from snapshot should support getting a snapshot-ID,
Creating VM from VM get a VM id

Locks:
- When creating a VM from VM, we need to lock the original VM as a
whole, we can not edit the VM, take snapshot or any other VM level
action while such operation is active.
While for creating the VM from snapshot we can take more fine-grained
locks (only image related locks).

Implementation:
Well it is simply another implementation.

Livnat