[Engine-devel] VM Payload feature

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 10:02:55 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 11:09 AM, Dor Laor wrote:

> Currently it seems that there are too many options for it - floppy, cd,
> nfs and maybe more. It would be nice to have a single option that works
> for all cases. How about creating something like s3 compatible storage
> access that the guest can access? If you need boot time access then I'll
> recommend cdrom or plain virtio-blk.

I think there are different use cases here:
1. floppy and iso cover the same use case, for similar needs (and behave
the same). this would cover windows sysprep approach and basic
attachment of files
2. http://192.169.192.168 - this would provide compatibility to cloud
approaches iiuc
3. injecting into the file system - this covers various other needs,
like injecting ssh key, and is relevant not only during bootstrap,
should we want to allow editing a guest when it is down to troubleshoot
issues.

so I think all have their place...