[Engine-devel] VM Payload feature

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 08:33:20 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 12:47 AM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 12:02 +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> Currently it seems that there are too many options for it - floppy, cd,
>>> nfs and maybe more. It would be nice to have a single option that works
>>> for all cases. How about creating something like s3 compatible storage
>>> access that the guest can access? If you need boot time access then I'll
>>> recommend cdrom or plain virtio-blk.
>
> I agree with Dor that there seems to be a large number of options here.
>  From the Aeolus and Deltacloud perspective, we only need something that
> makes that information available fairly late during boot (certainly
> until after file systems have been mounted, even after network start
> isn't a deal killer)
>
> The payload data that the VM sees should not change when the VM is
> rebooted or stopped/started.
>
>> I think there are different use cases here:
>> 1. floppy and iso cover the same use case, for similar needs (and behave
>> the same). this would cover windows sysprep approach and basic
>> attachment of files
>
> Just picking one or the other should be sufficient.
>
>> 2. http://192.169.192.168 - this would provide compatibility to cloud
>> approaches iiuc
>
> Except the address is 169.254.169.254 (link-local) ;)
>
>> 3. injecting into the file system - this covers various other needs,
>> like injecting ssh key, and is relevant not only during bootstrap,
>> should we want to allow editing a guest when it is down to troubleshoot
>> issues.
>
> You don't need that as a feature for troubleshooting; I've unmangled EBS
> root volumes in AWS before simply by mounting the EBS disk from another
> machine.
>
> The thing I don't like about file injection is that it's inherently
> fragile, since oVirt needs to understand the intricacies of disk layout,
> volume manager (as in lvm), and filesystem.

true, and Rich Jones abstracts this or us via libguestfs and virt-tools.

> Even worse if it is exposed via the API so that you can provide target
> paths - now you've tightly coupled your API user to the OS inside the
> VM.

especially if we'll expose editing the windows registry.
but there are merits to allow editing the OS aside of boot strapping.

> I would only entertain (3) if there is an absolutely compelling use case
> to do it.

we already discussed covering only #1 for now, and looking at #2 in the
future.
the drive for #3 will be based on need, which could be based on other
aspects than boot time pay load.