[Engine-devel] Separating engine-setup from ovirt-engine

Ofer Schreiber oschreib at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 07:36:44 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Jul 3, 2012, at 16:53 , Juan Hernandez wrote:
>
> > On 07/03/2012 03:43 PM, Ofer Schreiber wrote:
> >> In our days, ovirt-engine-setup is a part of the big ovirt-engine
> >> rpm.
> >> This means that each time you need to build yourself a new
> >> ovirt-engine-setup rpm, you need to compile all the engine.
> >>
> >> I've started to think about separating it into another git
> >> (similar to ovirt-iso-uploader), so we will be able to build this
> >> rpm separately.
> >>
> >> This change is really easy to implement (actually, I have already
> >> done it locally), and sounds to me like it's the right thing to
> >> do.
> >>
> >> Thought?
> >> Ofer.
> >
> > I agree that is the right thing to do. Take into account that this
> > also
> > means that ovirt-engine-setup will no longer be a subpackage of
> > ovirt-engine, so you will have to submit a new package request to
> > have
> > it included in Fedora.
> not quite sure having 10+ packages is a win…
> - why do you have to have a separate git?

I don't, we can do it in the same one. still, it will be a separate package...

> - why do you have to recompile when there's a change elsewhere? isn't
> that a matter of compilation scripts only? (though understand size
> of the rpm might be an issue…)

Well, the it's not just a "build script", we're doing this inside RPM.
The process is as follows:
1. create tarball from the git
2. build srpm with the spec and the tarball
3. build the rpm from the srpm, which means:
  - open the tarball in a temp director
  - compile everything in the same temp dir
  - put the compiled binaries in the right directory (some sort of chroot env, like /home/ofer/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/usr/share/ovirt-engine)
  - create the actual rpm

AFAIK, this is the rpm-build way, I don't really have control over these steps.

> I personally do not see a point in separating of something
> inseparable…but that's just me perhaps:)
>
> in other words, if you would kindly explain me the benefits please,
> I'll shut up:-)

Benefits:
1. 10 seconds to build the setup rpm (this can be done also in the same git, but separating the spec/makefile)
2. No need to rebuild the entire engine for a small TEXT change in the setup (same)
3. No need to rebuild (and re-test) the setup with every change to the engine. (same)

The only argument I have in favor of creating a separate git is that it sounds to me better than having two separate rpm spec/make in the same git.