[Engine-devel] Fwd: Problem in REST API handling/displaying of logical networks

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 10:43:26 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> >> i do see sense in this, and based on my experience of
> >> closing ~5 bugs on this for SD and explaining like
> >> ~10 times on ML to users why /api/storagedomains/xxx
> >> doesn't have <status>, I'm sure it should be done this way
> >> as it creates clear differentiation between root-resource
> >> and cluster-resource (shared) status.

> >> you not adding another property, you fix existent
> >> (which was incorrectly used/implemented).

> >> --
> >>
> >> Michael Pasternak
> >> RedHat, ENG-Virtualization R&D
> >>

> > I think we got a little bit off the topic here, so if you don't
> > mind I would like to see if everyone agrees on this:
> >
> > We have at the api/networks collection these properties and their
> > possible values:
> >   status - OPERATIONAL, NON_OPERATIONAL
> >   display - true, false
> >
> > We (as far as I understood) agreed that these fields causea problem
> > in this context since they can be different for a given network,
> > and current representation will return the network element
> > multiple times with only difference in either one of these fields.
> > Also I understood we agreed that this is bad behaviour (even a bug)
> > and we don't want to support this anymore.
> >
> > This gives 2 choices IMHO:
> >   1. Fix the behaviour but keep the fields with some default
> >   values.
> >   2. Fix the behaviour and remove these field as well, which isn't
> >   really breaking an API since the behaviour was broken to begin
> >   with.
> >

> So a summary of the thread so far:
>
> Simon, Miki Ori and me voted +1 for option #2
>
> Michael wants to change the value of the status field to
> attach/detach
>
> Anyone else wants to vote in on this?

I vote for fix #2.

I think not only is leaving these fields with some defaults a mistake, but also changing their possible values is breaking the API either way, so if we already breaking the API I think removing the fields entirely is cleaner, and in future if we have request to add fields then we can model them correctly.