[Engine-devel] java 1.6 compatibility no more?

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 11:31:24 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 01:02 PM, Allon Mureinik wrote:

> [...]

Can you compare the build with and without animal-sniffer? Just to have
an idea of what is the difference. Anyhow five minutes seems acceptable
to me.

>> Also need to make sure that the new dependency is available in the
>> build
>> environments we use.
> Built it against brew's repo, seemed to work fine.
> If you have any more suggestions on how to check it, please advise.

That is very good. Actually building there would be even better.

>> I am specially concerned about the Fedora build
>> system, where we have the plugin but not the signatures for the JDKs.
> The signatures are provided as part of the plugin - they are not taken directly from the JDK.
> Or am I missing something in your point?

I don't know very well this plugin, but it is my understanding that the
signatures are additional dependencies that need to be downloaded from
the maven repository. In your patch you are using the following:

  <signature>
    <groupId>org.jvnet.animal-sniffer</groupId>
    <artifactId>java1.6</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
  </signature>

This org.jvnet.animal-sniffer:java1.6:1.0 artifact is what I can't find
in the Fedora build system. Not a big problem, this can be patched out
while building the package, just a minor inconvenience.

>> This means that we will need to ignore the plugin or build the
>> signatures ourselves.
> Not so - see above.
>

>> Also take into account that every new maven plugin we add to the POMs
>> introduces new potential problems with the maven eclipse support.
> True.
> IMHO, it's a small price to pay, but I guess that's why we discuss things upstream - to get different opinions ;-)

Well, for me personally the price is actually zero, as I don't use the
Eclipse maven support ;-) . But I know that many people hates when they
try to import the projects and they get errors because of plugins that
Eclipse doesn't understand. Let's see what they think.

>> I think we can leave the decision to each developer, maybe providing
>> an
>> script that calls "mvn animal-sniffer:check ..." with the right
>> parameters, maybe with git pre-commit hook, to make it more
>> automatic.
> I really don't like this approach, but again - difference of opinions :-)
> Let's gather somemore feedback before deciding either way?

Yes, of course. In my opinion adding this check is a good idea, and you
already cleared most of the objections.

>> This combined with the Jenkins checks can be a good compromise.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain