[Engine-devel] Quota in 3.2 - design

Ofri Masad omasad at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 15:41:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

The new design for quota in 3.2 is available here: http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/Quota-3.2
Most of the changes would be in the backend.

Feedbacks would be more than welcome. We are trying to make quota more inherent (more framework like) and easier to handle when you create a new command.
Other than the design described in the wiki, we thought of two other designs which would help us identify the commands which are dependent on quota:
 1. Using annotations -
          by this approach we would add an annotation to the command class
          telling us it's a quota consumer and a second annotation to the method returning
          the consumption parameters.
 2. Using just interfaces without the markings in VdcActionType (this is the current implementation) -
          in this case the implemented interfaces are inherited by extending commands.
          So if one inherits some command without handling the quota parameters - we get
          wrong quota consumption and even holes in the quota.

again, any feedbacks would be more than welcome.
Thanks ahead,
Ofri