[Engine-devel] [vdsm] unmanaged devices thrown into 'custom' feature

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sat Oct 27 16:13:59 UTC 2012

On 10/24/2012 05:54 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 10:52 PM, Ayal Baron wrote:

Yes they do, in the custom properties.

> 2. custom property are to pass parameters to the hook user can
> reasonably control. device management should not be part of that if
> not strictly related to the hook (from user's side).

No problem, then we should not pass these devices at all.

> 3. I'm guessing (didn't get this first time i read your answer), you
> are hinting the unmanaged devices should be passed as a custom
> property to vdsm, auto generated by engine?
I'm not saying this is what *should* happen, I'm saying this is what
*is* happening.
vdsm passes to hooks 2 things:
1. libvirt xml (which obviously would not contain 'unmanaged devices')
2. whatever is passed in 'custom properties' by engine (afaik engine
passes the entire bag of properties to all hooks, relevant or not).
For some reason someone insisted on being able to pass all the devices
engine gets back from the vm back to the hooks even if these were not
passed by engine when starting up the VM (iirc the idea was that if a
hook adds a device in this way it is able to know what address the
device got on previous run and maintain stable device addresses).
What I opposed originally was the ability when running a VM to pass in
the devices section a list of devices that should not be attached to the
vm (i.e. 'here is a list of devices that I don't want you to use devices
in the vm').  I think it's self evident why I was against this and why I
still oppose the idea.
If you want a bag of rubbish to pass to hooks then that is 'custom
properties'.  No need to make the API any uglier.
Personally, I think that any hook that adds devices should be able to
manage addresses (e.g. choose an empty address, or add a post hook for
running VMs and persist the info).
In fact, this is just another case where hooks are used in the entirely
wrong place.  The place to do this is in the engine with an engine side
pre-run vm hook and then any devices you want to add to the VM become
'managed' as far as vdsm is concerned.

Note that from what I could understand, Dan was really trying to
understand why we don't 'manage' these devices (actually passing them to
libvirt on subsequent runs of the VM).