[Engine-devel] Gluster IPTable configuration

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Sun Sep 2 14:21:47 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Current default (virt) iptables configuration is kept in the engine's DB.
So...

1. We can update the DB value to include Gluster configuration.
or
2. Have an additional DB value for virt+Gluster.

So (1) will work, but when gluster is not relevant we have redundant ports.
But my only reservation from (2) is that it's not scalable for additional
services.

Either way, I agree with Alon that melding the configurations at runtime
is unexpected, and shouldn't be used.

After some additional thought... we can have (1), and make all gluster
entries commented out (let's say with #GLSTR) by default, so it'll be
enabled only when gluster is being used. This will allow introducing future
configurations as well without the need for additional DB values.

Sample snip of DB value:
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
# vdsm
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 54321 -j ACCEPT
# libvirt tls
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 16514 -j ACCEPT
# SSH
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
# guest consoles
-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 5634:6166 -j ACCEPT
# gluster p1
#GLSTR-A INPUT -p tcp --dport p1 -j ACCEPT
# gluster p2-p6
#GLSTR-A INPUT -p tcp --dport p2:p8 -j ACCEPT
# Reject any other input traffic
-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
-A FORWARD -m physdev ! --physdev-is-bridged -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT

So as you can see, this is something we can handle in run-time. Also it's easy
to test, so predictable, and finally- human beings can look and understand what
it means.