[Engine-devel] UI Plugins configuration

Frantz, Chris Chris.Frantz at hp.com
Wed Sep 5 18:52:28 UTC 2012

Vojtech,

Please go ahead and include my ideas and/or code into your next patch.

With regards to the FIXME, I think using the 'date last modified' is a good idea.  However, the plugin descriptor file can also reference the plugin config file (via the configFile property).  I imagine that adding, removing or reconfiguring plugins will be a relatively rare event, so maybe there is a simpler method:

Remember the newest timestamp of ($DATADIR/ui-plugins/*, $CONFIGDIR/ui-plugins/*) and reload the plugin descriptors and configurations if the newest timestamp changes.

As far as synchronization goes, the current code's getPluginDefinitions() loads all of the plugin descriptors and configurations into a new HashMap and then assigns that hashmap to WebadminDynamicHostingServlet.pluginDefinitions.  As long as the JsonNode trees in pluginDefinitions aren't modified after being put into pluginDefinitions, I don't see a synchronization issue.  Successive calls to get data from the pluginDefinitions hashmap may see different data, but they'll never see inconsistent data (e.g. a partially constructed plugin descriptor).

However, if we want to add calls to modify the pluginDefinitions at runtime (such as a element in the GUI that disables certain plugins), then we will need synchronization.  We'll also have to concern ourselves with whether any such modifications need to be saved back to the files on disk.

--Chris