[Engine-devel] Fixed -Xmx could kill your JVM

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 12:32:28 UTC 2012

Hello,

I recently discovered that I made a mistake in the engine service
script. The problem is that were running the JVM with the "-Xms option
twice, like this:

  java -Xms1g -Xms1g ...

That doesn't correctly limit the max amount of heap space. It has been
fixed in a recent commit [1], so with the updated code the engine will
run by default like this:

  java -Xms1g -Xmx1g ...

With this change you could start to see OutOfMemory errors if your
engine was using a lot of memory, if you are running stress tests, for
example. In that case remember that you can adjust this changing the
ENGINE_HEAP_MIN and ENGINE_HEAP_MAX parameters in
/etc/sysconfig/ovirt-engine. For example, to use 2g instead of the
default of 1g:

ENGINE_HEAP_MIN=2g
ENGINE_HEAP_MAX=2g

The restart the engine.