[Engine-devel] Update on UI Plugins: PoC patch revision 4

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 12:45:34 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 02:04 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:
> Hi Juan, thanks for your comments :)
>
> Server-side components of UI plugin infrastructure (such as PluginSourcePageServlet) indeed need some more work, I agree with your points.
>
> I was thinking that PluginSourcePageServlet and FileServlet are quite similar in their purpose, serving static resources from local filesystem. FileServlet is intended for general use, with 'file' parameter configured as servlet init-param. For example, FileServlet could be used to serve static resources from /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins:
>
> <servlet>
>   <servlet-name>pluginResourceServlet</servlet-name>
>   <servlet-class>org.ovirt.engine.core.FileServlet</servlet-class>
>   <init-param>
>     <param-name>file</param-name>
>     <param-value>/usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins</param-value>
>   </init-param>
> </servlet>
> <servlet-mapping>
>   <servlet-name>pluginResourceServlet</servlet-name>
>   <url-pattern>/plugins/*</url-pattern>
> </servlet-mapping>
>
> Assuming following directory convention for UI plugin descriptors and actual plugin resources:
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/foo.json -> Plugin descriptor
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/foo/start.html -> Plugin host page
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/foo/foo.js -> Actual plugin code (referenced by plugin host page)
>
> Such servlet could be used to map "http(s)://<EngineHost>:8700/plugins/foo/start.html" to /usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins/foo/start.html
> (note that FileServlet is in root WAR context)

Using the FileServlet in this way looks perfectly ok from my point of
view. Only thing to tkae into account is that then we should not put any
content that is not to be public in the
/usr/share/ovirt-engine/ui-plugins directory as the FileServlet has no
mechanism to filter files: it serves anything inside that directory.

> The purpose of PluginSourcePageServlet is very similar, but in terms of FileServlet, the 'file' parameter is not static (defined in web.xml as init-param), but depends on plugin meta-data (defined in foo.json) for each plugin.
>
> PluginSourcePageServlet was meant to map "http(s)://<EngineHost>:8700/webadmin/webadmin/plugin/foo/start.html" to /custom/plugin/base/directory/start.html
> (note that PluginSourcePageServlet is in WebAdmin WAR context)
>
> Juan - do you think we could modify/reuse FileServlet for serving UI plugin static resources? As mentioned above, the only difference is that the 'file' parameter (base directory) would be potentially different for each plugin. Please let me know what you think about it.

I would rather move the useful methods from FileServlet to the
ServletUtils class (isSane, loading of MIME types, probably more) and
then we can use them from FileServlet and PluginSourcePageServket, thus
simplifying both.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain