[Engine-devel] Dynamic resource loading in GWT

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 09:14:57 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013 04:50 PM, Einav Cohen wrote:
> [top posting]
>
> in general, gwt applications are not "built" for loading things at run-time.
> for the branding feature, we had to change some of that due to the feature
> requirements.
>
> question is what will we gain from loading dynamically the values that are
> currently being loaded statically.
> for features such as dynamic/user-defined OSs [1] - it makes sense and probably
> even required, however, for error messages, which are not dynamic/user-defined,
> I think that it doesn't.

error messages changes when the engine changes them. the fact that there
is 1 source and 3 copies is a mess
so the point is not about making the error message "dynamic" - its about
i.e - instead of error.js created by GWT(or whatever its hiding in) load
it from [server]/fileServlet?f=errors

also its not only about error messages.
Virt team want to load the system timezones. today its done via Query -
Query should be used to get Entities no sources
I'm sure lots of things are limited/complicate impl/buggy by the lack
easy way of resource sharing.

we can start with a POC which will be used to load Timezones what do say?

> there are other ways to ease maintenance of error-messages (e.g. maintain only
> one copy of each file, and copy it during compilation time to the relevant
> locations, instead of maintaining several identical files), without introducing
> the disadvantages of dynamic loading.
>
> ----
> Thanks,
> Einav
>
> [1] http://www.ovirt.org/OS_info

>>> host
>>> page (as the contents can change), vs caching the compiled resources is